Saturday, February 18, 2012

Winning the Recruiting Game, Vol. 2

In the last blog I talked about the importance of developing a plan that is based on merit and credibility. As I continue with this series I would be foolish not to discuss simple things that may seem obvious. Based on my experience, there tends to be a difficult balance of looking into the future and being able to enjoy the journey in getting there.

Yesterday I sat down with a college football prospect I am working with, and his dad, as he was preparing to head off to a camp. I gave him many pointers on what to expect and how to handle himself while he was there. The last thing I asked him was "why are you going to this camp?" The real answer to that question is he is going for several reasons. He wants to get in front of coaches that are very interested in him playing for their program, he is going to work on his skills and fundamentals, and he wants to gain experience feeling pressure while he is performing, to build mental toughness. Knowing him well, the one thing I reminded him was that he is going to this camp because he loves to play football and simply wants to be playing football over the weekend. It's that basic, he loves to play football. That's really the bottom line answer to that question. He thought for a moment and completely agreed.

This balance is difficult. There is so much looking into the future at schools, the big dreams, and ultimate goals. It is crucial to enjoy the journey. If you aren't enjoying the recruiting journey then something needs to change. There are challenges and difficulties in most recruiting journeys but if the kid is starting to look more into the future then what is taking place presently, they most likely aren't going to be able to enjoy the ride. Enjoying this once in a lifetime experience also allows kids to relax and they tend to play better. One thing I often say to kids when I first start working with them is, "it's going to be a fun ride." I really believe it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment