Friday, September 27, 2013

Well Done Mo


Mariano Rivera's final appearance last night at Yankee Stadium is one of the finest memories I have ever had watching baseball. Rivera, affectionately known as Mo, doesn't just leave as baseball’s all-time saves leader, he leaves a stunning legacy of class and respect. I'm not a Yankee fan; in fact I'm far from it. I think Derek Jeter is overrated and A-Rod is a sham. I can't help but love Rivera, who day in and day out, did his job for 19 years and never missed a step in being one of the finest human beings to ever play the game and being almost untouchable on the mound.

Last night’s final appearance was a signature moment and why sports are so incredible. The emotions of seeing him leave the game last night brought me back to a night on September 6th, 1995 when Cal Ripken Jr. broke the unbreakable record of consecutive games played. That night I was gripped to the TV with my dad and my brother and enjoying the moment of Cal's hard work and dedication. There are great sports moments and then there are sports moments that you can remember where you were when they happened. As a 6th grader at that time and also a shortstop like Cal, Cal showed me how to play the game through his actions. That sort of impact is incredible.

I remember in 2001 cheering against the Yankees in game 7 against the Diamondbacks and the incredible Mo gave up the game winning base hit and I was jumping up and down giving high fives with my dad and brother. Mo left the game emotionless and in his interviews afterwards he handled them with dignity and class, as Mo always did. I was a terrible loser and I remember my dad saying to me, "He just gave up the game winning hit in the 7th game of the world series. That's how you handle losing." That has always stuck with me.

I have my chain of memories through Mo's 19 years that I'll never forget and others have their own stories. As Mo parts from baseball I will always remember everything he brought to the game and how much we can all learn from him. He has been a part of a lot of wonderful memories for me with my family and this was a fine way to cap it off. My hat goes off to the Yankees and the other organizations that have honored him this year, including the Twins. Baseballs foundations is  built on respect. Cal Ripken Jr. was the signature of how to play the game in the 80’s and 90’s and Mo took that torch in the 90’s and never let us down. Mo will leave with the utmost respect from any player and fan. Bien hecho Mo!

No comments:

Post a Comment